Balance/Fall Prevention in Tulare County
Our passion is to keep seniors active and enjoying life, free from the
debilitating effects of a fall. People with balance and dizziness problems
can have difficulty performing the simplest tasks: getting out of a chair,
walking through a house, shopping for groceries. The good news is we can help!
At Kaweah Delta, our balance and fall prevention program aims to help people
compensate for this loss or imbalance within the vestibular system. This
exercise program is designed by specially-trained therapists and provides
personalized treatment for each patient which includes:
- Information about their condition
- Exercises and activities to perform during therapy and at home
- Tips to increase safety and independence at home, work and in the community
- Posture and body mechanics training
- Referrals to other healthcare professionals if needed.
Medicare covers Balance and Fall Prevention. To make an appointment with
a specialist at Kaweah Delta, patients need a doctor's referral.
This program is offered at the following locations:
Fall Prevention Resources
Have you fallen in the last six months? Or, do have trouble with tripping,
swaying, stumbling, and dizziness?
A Free Balance Screening. Free 15-minute balance screenings are offered from 2-3 p.m. every 3rd
Wednesday of the month at Therapist Specialists. Interested?
Call 624-3700 to schedule an appointment.
A Balance Evaluation. Go to the following Physical Therapy locations for a thorough evaluation
and treatment of your balance. Insurance covers physical therapy treatment
Kaweah Delta Rehabilitation Hospital, 840 S. Akers St., Visalia
Exeter Therapy Specialists, 1131 W. Visalia Road, Exeter
Outpatient Rehabilitation Services, 840 S. Akers St., Visalia
Therapy Specialists, 1337 S. Lovers Lane, Visalia
Dinuba Therapy Specialists, 355 Monte Vista, Suite C, Dinuba
Additional Community Resources
Tai Chi Classes. Research has shown that Tai Chi reduces falls up to 67%
and can help with balance.
Take a class at:
820 S. Akers St., Suite 200, Visalia
- Offerings: Beginning and advanced classes.
- Cost: $7.50-$10 per class
- Info: 624-3427
Visalia Senior Center
310 N. Locust St., Visalia.
- Offerings: Through the City of Visalia Recreation Department
- Cost: $5 (morning) to $6.50 (evening)
- Info: 713-4365
The Lifestyle Center
5105 W. Cypress Ave., Visalia
- Offerings: Steady Steps Class, a class focused on balance and coordination.
Sit-N-Be Fit Class, a group exercise class where participants sit in a
chair and improve strength and flexibility.
- Cost: $15, non-members; free, members.
- Info: 624-3400
215 W. Tulare Ave., Visalia, CA 93277
- Offerings: Club 50 is a senior fitness program operated by The Lifestyle
Center of Visalia and overseen by an exercise physiologist. The program
runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Boys and
Girls Club of the Sequoias. Program offers weight room, treadmills, and
Sit-N-Be Fit class and a low impact aerobics class.
- Cost: $40/year
- Info: 735-0754
Empowerment for Better Living Workshops
- Offerings: Workshops for people with chronic illness or family/friends
of a person with a chronic disease interested in learning how to live
a healthier life. Includes fall prevention tips and better balance exercises.
- Cost: Free
- Info: 624-2416 or www.kaweahdelta.org/livebetter