WHAT IS LOW VISION?
Low vision is a visual impairment, not correctable by standard glasses, contact lenses, medicine, or surgery, that interferes with a person’s ability to perform everyday activities.
WHAT CAUSES LOW VISION?
Low vision can result from a variety of disease and injuries that affect the eye. Many people with low vision have age- related macular degeneration, cataract, glaucoma, or diabetic retinopathy. Age-related macular degeneration accounts for almost 45% of all cases of low vision.
People with low vision experience physical, economic, and psychological changes that diminish their quality of life. Without assistance and training, patients may have difficulty using low vision devices and completing necessary daily living tasks such as:
- Meal preparation
- Financial management
- Home maintenance shopping
- Community and leisure activities
LOW VISION REHABILITATION
Our occupational therapists help people with low vision impairment that have a loss of ability to perform necessary activities of daily living in the following ways:
- Teach people to use their remaining vision as best as possible to complete activities.
- Help modify activities so they can be completed even with reduced vision.
- Train people in the use of adaptive equipment to compensate for vision loss.
- Create a safe home environment to prevent falls and injuries.
Therapists work closely with your doctor. They help determine if any other factors may interfere with the use of equipment, i.e., arthritic joints, upper and lower extremity weakness and lack of endurance.
- Home Safety Recommendations
- Lighting Recommendations
- Reading Training
- Visual Skills Training
- Cooking Safety Suggestions
- Financial Management Adaptations
- Adaptive Equipment
- Daily Living Skill Training
- Scotoma Awareness Training
- Preferred Retinal Loci Training
- Handwriting Training
- Optical and Other Low Vision Aids/Equipment Training
- Mobility Training
Kaweah Delta Rehabilitation Hospital
840 S. Akers St.
Visalia, CA 93277
Questions? 559-(559) 624-3906