Treatment for Spondylolisthesis in the Central Valley
If you have arthritis or have had a recent bone injury or stress fracture, you may develop spondylolisthesis, a condition that causes a vertebra (a bone in the back or neck) to move forward and onto the bone below it. This can result in nerve pressure, muscle spasms, and the feeling of having a muscle strain. Spondylolisthesis is the most common cause of back pain for teenagers, often occurring during a growth spurt.
At Kaweah Delta Health Care District, we partner with board-certified spine surgeons to offer physical therapy, nonsurgical treatments and minimally invasive spine surgery to help patients regain mobility while lessening pain and discomfort. If you have lower back pain, stiffness and tingling or muscle tightness, we provide trusted spondylolisthesis treatment in Visalia, CA.
Symptoms of Spondylolisthesis
Patients with spondylolisthesis may not have any symptoms or even know they have the condition until much later. When symptoms do occur, the following may be present:
- Lower back pain: Pain is typically centralized in the lower region of the back and may cause feelings of having a muscle spasm.
- Muscle spasms in hamstrings: These spasms may present in the back of the thigh, creating tightness and resulting in short strides with knees bent while walking. If the vertebra is pressing on a nerve, pain, tingling or numbness may be present in the foot.
- Stiffness and weakness: Typically present in the legs.
- Tenderness: Localized in the area where the vertebra has moved out of place.
Trusted treatment of Spondylolisthesis at Kaweah Delta
In many cases, nonsurgical treatments can be helpful in treating spondylolisthesis, such as rest and stretching exercises to strengthen the lower back. If additional treatment is required, Kaweah Delta offers the following for spondylolisthesis:
- Physical therapy: The goal of physical therapy is to strengthen muscles and provide stability to the abdomen and lower back. In many cases, patients may undergo several months of daily therapy to achieve positive results.
- Medications: Over-the-counter drugs, narcotics or steroid injections can prove beneficial in alleviating pain and discomfort.
- Spine surgery: If the vertebra continue to slip or pain isn’t relieved with medications and therapy, spine surgery can help correct slipped disc issues and provide relief from irritated nerves.
- Laminectomy: During this procedure, the surgeon removes part of the bone that has pressed against the nerves. This can help minimize pain and restore mobility.
- Spinal fusion: The surgeon takes part of a bone and fuses it to the back of the spine — using rods or screws, in some cases — to restore stability.
Make an Appointment with a Trusted Spine Surgeon in Visalia
Our neurosurgery and neurospine facilities provide state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment for patients. To learn more about the available services for treating spondylolisthesis, schedule a consultation with your primary care doctor or click HERE for to obtain a list of neurosurgeons in the area.
In Visalia, Kaweah Delta’s surgical team and local neurosurgeons partner to provide excellent treatment of Spondylolisthesis for patients from Visalia, Hanford, Tulare, Porterville, Fresno, Bakersfield and surrounding areas