Expert Spinal Stenosis Treatment in the Central Valley
Often the result of degenerative arthritis, spinal stenosis is
a condition in which the area of the lower back or neck (either the spinal
canal or one or more of the openings between vertebrae) becomes narrowed,
causing significant pain and discomfort. Patients with this condition often
develop chronic low back pain, leg pain and weakness or numbness in their legs.
If you have lower leg pain or numbness and need expert
spinal stenosis treatment in Visalia, a board-certified spine surgeon performing spine surgery at
Kaweah Delta Health Care District can minimize
symptoms and help you return to a more normal life.
Spinal Stenosis Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of spinal stenosis may vary depending on the location of the affected vertebrae, specifically:
- Cervical spine: May result in weakness, numbness or a tingling sensation in the foot, leg, hand or arm. Other symptoms include problems walking or maintaining balance, as well as incontinence.
- Lumbar spine: Spinal stenosis of the lower back may result in pain and cramping in the legs during long periods of standing or walking.
Types of Surgery for Spinal Stenosis
Kaweah Delta offers the following services for spinal stenosis in Visalia:
- Laminectomy: The surgeon removes the lamina (part of the bone that makes up a vertebrae in your spine). This may also be performed in order to minimize pressure on your spinal nerves or spinal cord. In some situations, the surgeon may link the vertebrae together using metal hardware and a bone graft (known as a spinal fusion) in order to maintain strength in the spine.
- Laminotomy: During this procedure, the surgeon removes only a portion of the affected lamina, usually making a large space to relieve the pressure.
- Laminoplasty: To treat affected vertebrae in the neck, the surgeon opens up a space in the spinal canal by creating a hinge with metal hardware on the lamina, thereby alleviating pressure.
Make an Appointment
with a Visalia Spine Surgeon
If you visit Kaweah Delta with signs of spinal stenosis, your spine surgeon may perform a neurological exam to test your hearing, balance, vision and coordination. This may additionally be paired with imaging tests, such as X-rays, MRI and CT scans, to provide a clear diagnosis of your symptoms. To learn more about spinal stenosis and receive world-class treatment, schedule a consultation with your primary care doctor or click HERE for to obtain a list of neurosurgeons in the area.
In Visalia, Kaweah Delta’s surgical team and local neurosurgeons partner to provide excellent treatment of spinal stenosis or patients from Visalia, Hanford, Tulare, Porterville, Fresno, Bakersfield and surrounding areas