Trusted Care for Herniated Disc in the Central Valley
The backbone is made up of 26 vertebrae. Between the vertebrae are soft discs, which serve as cushions between the bones and help keep them in place. As we age, these bones start to degenerate, resulting in lower back pain. Also known as a slipped disc or a bulging disc, a herniated disc can cause significant lower back pain or sciatica when stress is put on the back.
If you’re experiencing pain, numbness or weakness in your back, arms or legs, Kaweah Delta provides expert herniated disc treatment in Visalia, CA . Board-certified spine surgeons and our care team are standing by to help patients minimize discomfort and get back to their normal routine with less pain.
Herniated Disc Symptoms
Depending on the affected vertebrae, symptoms of herniated disc may include:
- Pain in the arm or leg: Patients with a herniated (bulging or slipped) disc in the lower back typically report intense pain in the buttocks, calf and thigh areas. Foot pain may be present as well. If the herniated disc is located in the neck, pain will be present in the shoulder and arm (especially when coughing, sneezing or moving in certain positions).
- Tingling or numbness: Most common symptoms of herniated disc are numbness or tingling in the area of the body connected to the affected nerves.
- Muscle weakness: Affected nerves may cause muscles to weaken, resulting in stumbling or an inability to hold or lift objects.
Treatments for Herniated Disc
Kaweah Delta offers the following treatments for herniated disc in Visalia:
- Medications: If surgery isn’t required, drugs, such as over-the-counter pain medications, narcotics, nerve pain medications, muscle relaxants or cortisone injections, may help to alleviate pain and discomfort associated with a bulging disc.
- Physical therapy: Certain exercises, hot and cold therapies, ultrasounds, braces and electrical stimulation can also be useful to treat a slipped disc.
- Spine surgery: In some cases, patients may need spine surgery to alleviate pain. During the procedure, the surgeon may remove a portion or all of the affected disc. A spinal fusion may also be performed to restore stability to the spine.
Schedule a Consultation for Spinal Surgery in Visalia
When you visit Kaweah Delta with symptoms of a herniated disc, you might undergo a neurological exam with a surgeon in order to test your hearing, balance, vision and coordination. Additional imaging tests may include X-rays, MRI and CT scans to help the surgeon give a correct diagnosis of your symptoms. To learn more about herniated disc treatment, schedule a consultation with your primary care doctor or click HERE for to obtain a list of neurosurgeons in the area.
In Visalia, Kaweah Delta provides comprehensive nonsurgical treatment and advanced spine surgery for patients suffering from herniated disc in Visalia, Tulare, Porterville, Bakersfield, Hanford, Fresno and surrounding areas.