Taking Your Baby Home
Things Your Baby Must Do Before Making That Exciting Move Home:
- Maintain a normal body temperature in an open crib.
- Take in an adequate number of calories on all breast and/or bottle feedings.
- Have consistent weight gain on all breast or bottle feeding.
- Have no apnea (pauses in breathing) causing slow heart rate (bradycardia) or change in color for at least 5-7 days.
- Most babies no longer need oxygen when discharged, but some infants may need it when going home.
FACT SHEETS © 2009 Safe Ride National Auto Safety Hotline: 888-327-4236, 800-424-9153 (tty) or www.safercar.gov Find a local child passenger safety technician or inspection station: 866-732-8243 or www.seatcheck.org American Academy of Pediatrics:www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm