Kaweah Delta Treats Trigger Finger in Visalia
Trigger finger occurs when your finger gets stuck in a completely bent position. Inflammation in your finger’s tendon sheath may prevent the tendons utilized for tightening your muscle from sliding smoothly. That tendon may become stuck if you try to straighten your finger. Once unstuck, the finger returns straight. At Kaweah Delta, your doctors provide comprehensive treatment for trigger finger here in Visalia.
Common Symptoms of Trigger Finger
This condition most commonly affects the thumb, middle or ring finger. In some cases, multiple fingers are affected and both hands may be affected at once. Common symptoms include:
- Finger locked or stuck in a bent position
- Painful snapping and popping when you bend and straighten your finger
- Morning finger stiffness
- Nodule or bump at the base of the affected area
- Tenderness at the base of the affected area
Risk Factors of Trigger Finger
Common risk factors of trigger finger include:
- Medical conditions. People with rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes or gout are more susceptible to developing trigger finger.
- Repeated gripping. Repeated or strong gripping of an object may increase your risk of developing this orthopedic condition.
- Gender. While anyone can have the condition, it is most commonly found in women.
Comprehensive Trigger Finger Treatment
Kaweah Delta offers a variety of treatments for this orthopedic condition. Your orthopedic surgeon may suggest treating trigger finger with the following:
- Anti-inflammatory pain medication. Your physician may prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine. These may include, but are not limited to, ibuprofen or naproxen.
- Physical therapy. Therapy is a noninvasive treatment option. Your physician may recommend the following therapies in addition to medicinal treatment:
- Ice or heat therapy
- Night splints
- Stretching exercises
Surgery. If medicinal and therapeutic treatments don’t work and the condition persists, your physician may suggest steroid injection, percutaneous release or trigger finger surgery.
Schedule a consultation with your primary care doctor or click HERE for a list of specialists in your area.
In Visalia, Kaweah Delta and local orthopedic surgeons partner to provide excellent treatments for trigger finger in patients from Visalia, Hanford, Tulare, Porterville, Fresno, Bakersfield and surrounding areas.