Performing Spine & Neck Surgery at Kaweah Delta
Experienced orthopedic surgeons at Kaweah Delta are highly trained to treat your neck pain and spinal issues. When head, shoulder, leg or arm pain is keeping you from performing daily activities, you may need to seek medical attention.
Doctors will always suggest nonsurgical methods of pain relief first, such as epidural steroid injections or radio frequency neurotomy. If these treatment options fail to alleviate your spine or neck pain, it may be time to consider open or minimally invasive surgery.
Many people opt for spine and neck surgery if they have bone spurs, ruptured discs or pinched nerves that cause pain.
Your doctor might recommend spinal surgery if you have:
- Herniated disc (video). Displacement of the disc’s center through a cracked protective layer of strong tissues that connect one vertebra to another.
- Spinal deformity. Abnormally curved spine, scoliosis or kyphosis.
- Spinal stenosis. Narrowing of the spine which places pressure on the spinal cord.
Types of spine surgeries we can perform include:
- Discectomy. Removes either part or all of your herniated disc.
- Foraminotomy. Widens the opening where nerve roots leave the spinal column in your back.
- Laminectomy. Removes two bones that comprise the vertebra (lamina) to relieve pressure from your spinal column or nerves.
- Spinal fusion. Fuses two bones in your back to correct spinal problems.
Neck Pain & Surgery
Neck pain is a common condition often caused by muscle tension or strain. Other causes of neck pain include:
- Accidents or falls
- Sleeping in an awkward position
- Overuse during exercise
Cervical Laminoplastyis a surgical procedure that relieves pressure on the spinal cord, or spinal stenosis. Neck pain caused by spinal cord pressure can be due to:
- Degenerative changes
- Bone spurs
- Herniated disc
Recovery & Rehabilitation
After surgery, it is important to take the proper steps toward recovery and rehabilitation. At Kaweah Delta, patients will work with their orthopedic surgeon and staff members of Kaweah Delta Rehabilitation Therapy Services to begin an exercise program that will help them regain range of motion and return to their favorite activities.
Schedule an Appointment at Kaweah Delta
If you are considering spine or neck surgery, speak to your primary care physician. For a list of orthopedic surgeons, call the referral center for Kaweah Delta at (877) 529-3241 or click HERE.