Rotator Cuff Repair at Kaweah Delta
Rotator cuff repair is a surgical procedure that repairs a torn tendon in your shoulder. The rotator cuff is a cluster of tendons and muscles that cuff your shoulder joint. These tendons keep your arm attached to the joint and help the shoulder move. A torn or injured rotator cuff results from the overuse of the tendons in your shoulder. Experienced orthopedic surgeons at Kaweah Delta can treat your injured rotator cuff close to home.
Rotator Cuff Surgery
Your physician may recommend rotator cuff surgery if:
- You are unable to participate in daily activities.
- You play sports or are very active.
- You have a complete rotator cuff tear.
- You have chronic pain and limited rotation of the shoulder.
During the procedure, tendons in the rotator cuff are re-attached to the bone. A mini-open rotator repair requires only small incisions. Bone spurs are also repaired or removed using an arthroscope.
How to Prepare for Rotator Cuff Surgery
You are in good hands with highly-skilled orthopedic surgeons, but to reap the maximum benefits of your rotator cuff surgery, do the following:
- Notify your physician on which medicines, herbs or supplements you are taking.
- Inform your surgeon about any recent illnesses you have had.
- Tell your doctor if you regularly drink more than one to two alcoholic drinks per day.
- Carefully follow any special eating or drinking instructions your doctor gives you.
After the procedure, you will most likely wear a sling for up to six weeks following surgery. Full recovery from rotator cuff repair could take up to six months. Your physician will recommend physical therapy to help your muscles regain strength and range of motion.
Schedule an Appointment at Kaweah Delta
Contact us today at (877) 529-3241 to obtain a list of orthopedic surgeons affiliated with Kaweah Delta. Let our friendly staff know if you have any questions regarding rotator cuff surgery or click HERE for a list of orthopedic surgeons in the area. We look forward to helping you spring back in action.